Oakland's deadliest fire in nearly three years continues to have an impact on the friends of the two artists who died in the blaze, dozens of displaced residents, and several businesses that have been forced to shut down for weeks.
Investigators believe the March 21 three-alarm blaze at 669 24th St. in West Oakland was probably caused accidentally, after one of the men found dead in the unit where the fire started fell asleep while smoking, said Oakland Deputy Fire Chief Darin White.
Fire officials want to know if one of the men was intoxicated. "We do believe it's possible that alcohol or other drugs could have played a part in the individuals' inability to find themselves able to remove themselves from the situation," White said in an interview.
The fire department got word of the blaze at around 3 a.m. but did not see smoke or fire when they arrived minutes later. However, as crews searched the two-story brick building, a smoke alarm began to sound and smoke started coming out the top of the door leading to Apartment D on the second floor, White said.
Firefighters broke into the unit and "encountered an apartment charged with black smoke all the way to the floor," White said. "Heavy flame was coming from the back of the apartment."
Letona was a digital videographer. "His main passion was cinema," said Ramos, who organized an online fundraising campaign to pay for a recent memorial. Some of his work can be seen on his website, davislatona.wordpress.com.